- by Trish
1. What is the maximum number of characters that should be used in the Keyword Meta Tag?
Answer: As a good rule of thumb, your Keyword Meta Tag should consist of no more than 800 characters, comma separated …and, limit repeating your keywords. Excessive keyword stuffing may cause your site to be removed from the Google index (Google Slapped) for spamming.
2. What is the recommended number of characters for your Title Tag and why?
Answer: The maximum number of characters recommended for your Title Tag is 60; doing this will help insure your title is not truncated when displayed in search results by major search engine.
Answer: You need to bring the Title right below the <head> statement. Your Title Tag should be placed before all other tags otherwise search engine’s spider software may overlook your page title, which could significantly damage your website rankings.
4. How do you get a high popularity rating for your website?
Answer: Get lots of high PR backlinks. Backlinks are links from other’s websites to your website, and PR is short form for Page Rank. When a higher ranking website creates a link to your website they are basically “voting” for your site to search engine, but you need to understand that not all “votes” are counted equally. Gain enough high ranking backlinks and your website becomes more popular.
5. Which search engine bases the majority of its ranking on link popularity?
Answer: Google bases a majority of its ranking on popularity! But then, you knew that, right?
6. Which search engine gives “extra points” for high popularity plus for being listed in Yahoo or LookSmart?
Answer: Google gives “extra points” for high popularity as well as being listed in Yahoo and/or LookSmart. Was there any doubt?
7. Why is it a bad idea to create websites using frames?
Answer: Marc Millon said it best in his book titled “Creative content for the Web”. A screen print of a paragraph from page 188 of his book is offered in explanation below:
8. What are the top three search engines or directories used?
Answer: The three top search engines or directories used are Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
9. A listing on what directory also gets your web page listed in MSN, Google, Overture, AOL, and iWon?
Answer: Inktomi- But it does not provide search engine results directly to the public, rather, it sells its database or index to search engines. Its index and technology are used by web giants such as Google, MSN, AOL, iWon and Overture, along with others.
10. Besides Yahoo, what is the second most important directory to get listed with to increase your website’s traffic?
Answer: Besides Yahoo, Open Directory (DMOZ.org) is the second most important directory to get listed on to increase your website’s traffic.
11. What search engine indexes ALT Tags?
Answer: Google – but some inexperienced webmasters or unethical SEOs abuse the use of the ALT Tags, trying to stuff them with keywords in hope of achieving a certain keyword density. ALT Tags are not as relevant for rankings now as they once were, but I would still recommend that you use the ALT Tags with care. The ALT Tags are for the purpose of informing web device users who cannot download and/or view images.
If you found this article useful, please comment!